Tarina FE 1/20 is a type of low-estrogen birth control pill that is also combined with an iron supplement to help maintain healthy iron levels after your period. Tarina FE is a good choice for people who have been diagnosed with iron-deficiency anaemia and who experiences estrogen-related side effects, such as headaches, nausea and breast tenderness.
What is Tarina FE 1/20?
Tarina FE is:
- A type of birth control pill known as a combined oral contraceptive. This means that it contains synthetic versions of both estrogen and progesterone hormones.
- A low-estrogen birth control pill. This means that Tarina FE contains a lower dose of estrogen than standard combined pills. This makes it suitable for women who experience strong estrogen-related side effects such as nausea, headaches and breast tenderness.
- A birth control method that includes iron supplement tablets. The ‘FE’ indicates that Tarina FE contains an iron supplement. This is useful to help avoid iron-deficiency or anaemia that can occur if you experience heavy periods or if you don’t have a high level of iron in your diet. These tablets are seven brown tablets that are taken during the break from the active pills when you have your period.
- Usually prescribed for birth control, but can also be used to reduce acne, treat endometriosis and alleviate period pains.
Order safe and effective birth control View all treatments
How does Tarina FE 1/20 work?
Tarina FE is a combined birth control pill that contains both estrogen and progesterone. In addition, each pack of Tarina FE includes seven iron tablets. These three ingredients produce the following effects:
- The progesterone prevents ovulation (the release of an egg from the ovaries), so there is no egg available to be fertilized.
- The progesterone also increases the thickness of the mucus around the cervix and vagina, to make it harder for sperm to pass through, making it harder for sperm to fertilize an egg if one was released.
- The estrogen causes the lining of the womb/uterus (the endometrium) to change so that if an egg was fertilized, it would not be able to implant itself and instead would naturally pass out of the body on its own.
- The iron helps to reduce iron-deficiency (anaemia) which can be caused by blood loss during your period.
Tarina FE contains two types of pills: white birth control pills and brown iron tablets. The active ingredients in Tarina FE birth control pills are 20mcg Ethinyl estradiol (EE) and 1mg norethindrone. The brown-coloured iron tablets do not have an effect upon preventing pregnancy, but the active ingredient is a type of iron supplement, known as ferrous fumarate.
The inactive ingredients in the birth control pills are:
DL-.alpha.-tocopherol, anhydrous lactose, croscarmellose sodium, lactose monohydrate, magnesium stearate, povidone K25, sodium lauryl sulfate, sucrose.
The inactive ingredients in the brown iron tablets are:
Microcrystalline cellulose, silicon dioxide, croscarmellose sodium, lactose monohydrate, magnesium stearate, povidone K90.
Common side effects of Tarina FE include:
- Breakthrough bleeding
- Difficulty wearing contact lenses
- Swelling of fingers, ankles or feet
- Darkening of the skin, especially the face
- Appetite changes
- Hair loss on the scalp
- Increased likelihood of vaginal infections
This is not a complete list of possible side effects. Always read the patient information leaflet to ensure you are aware of the range of side effects and what to do if you experience them.
It is possible to experience severe side effects from Tarina FE. If you experience symptoms of an allergic reaction or a blood clot you should seek emergency medical attention.
- Symptoms of an allergic reaction:
- Breathing difficulties
- Swelling of the mouth, lips, tongue, throat, face
- Symptoms of a blood clot:
- Pain in the chest, jaw or left arm
- Difficulty breathing
- Fainting & dizziness
- Confusion, slurred speech & lack of coordination
- Profuse sweating
- Migraine or sudden/severe headache
- Visual changes including double vision & full or partial blindness