The standard dose of Albuterol inhalation is two inhalations every 4 to 6 hours. To avoid an exercise-induced asthma attack, use 2 puffs 15 to 30 minutes before you exercise. Albuterol is effective for around 4 to 6 hours.
What should I do if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you remember. However, skip a missed dose if it’s time for your next dose. It is not advisable to take other medications to compensate for a missed dose.
What should I do if I have taken too much?
If you have taken too much of Albuterol, call the Poison Help line at 1-800-222-1222 because an overdose of Albuterol could be fatal.
Symptoms of an overdose include tremors, shaking, dry mouth, irregular or fast heartbeat, chest pain, feeling nauseous or ill, feeling light-headed or like fainting or experiencing seizures.
How to prime an Albuterol Inhaler
If you are using your inhaler for the first time or if you have not used your inhaler for a while, you should prime your inhaler before you use it. Follow these steps to prime your inhaler:
- Remove the cap from the mouthpiece
- Shake the inhaler thoroughly
- Spray away from your face once
- Repeat three times.
Following this, you can use your inhaler as normal.
How to use an Albuterol Inhaler
To use your Albuterol inhaler, follow these instructions:
- Take off the cap from the mouthpiece
- Shake the inhaler well
- Hold the inhaler with the mouthpiece at the bottom
- Breathe out and empty your lungs as much as possible, then immediately put the mouthpiece inside your mouth and create a seal around it with your lips.
- Push the top of the inhaler all the way down while you breathe in slowly through your mouth
- After you have felt the spray come out, remove your finger from the canister and you can take the inhaler out of your mouth, but you should try to keep your mouth closed if possible
- Hold your breath for a minimum of 10 seconds if you can
- Breathe out fully. Try to breathe out as slowly as you can and for as long as possible.
- Swap the cap on the mouthpiece
- If you have been instructed to use more than one spray when you use your inhaler, wait 1 minute, then repeat steps 3-9.
Tips for your Albuterol inhaler
- Before use, always make sure that the canister sits securely inside the plastic device (actuator).
- Always keep the cap over the mouthpiece when not in use.
- Store the inhaler with the mouthpiece downwards.
- Clean your inhaler once a week.
How to clean your Albuterol Inhaler
To clean your inhaler, follow the instructions below:
- Remove the canister from the actuator (plastic part).
- Hold the actuator beneath warm water, running from the faucet (tap) for at least 30 seconds.
- Use warm water to clean the mouthpiece for at least 30 seconds.
- Check on the inside to see if there is any remaining build-up of medicine inside (rinse again if there is)
- Shake off any excess water and let it air-dry overnight.
- When it is completely dry, replace the canister in the actuator, shake thoroughly and spray into the air once, away from your face.
There’s a risk of fungi or bacteria to grow inside the inhaler if it’s not kept clean. Always ensure you clean the device properly to avoid the risk of infections such as oral thrush (yeast infection).